Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau (December 16, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing protest now on December 16, 2020, by farmers with tractors in front of Parliament Building on Stefan cel Mare Boulevard. Earlier today the police used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators, but some demonstrators are still present. Traffic in the center of town will likely be affected. U.S. citizens are encouraged to avoid the area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Expect traffic delays and road closures
- Keep a low profile
- Review your personal security plans
U.S. Embassy Chisinau reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security and to review emergency procedures, as outlined in the State Department’s Worldwide Caution Travel Advisory.
The Embassy will continue to review the situation and provide additional information as needed.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 22 40 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter