Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Event: Several events are expected to take place in Chisinau on Sunday, May 8 and Monday, May 9 to commemorate Europe Day/Victory and Commemoration Day. Although the marches are expected to be peaceful, there will be a heavy police presence and traffic disruptions:
- The “1418 Days and Nights” event is organized by the Communist party. Participants will gather at the Eternity Memorial at 19:00 on the evening of May 8, 2022.
- The “Immortal Regiment” march organized by political parties will take place from 8:00-12:00 on May 9. The march has historically involved several thousand participants. Police presence is expected to be heavy and during the time of the march. Roads and intersections along the route will be closed to vehicle traffic.
- A celebration of Europe Day organized by the Association of Veterans of the 1992 War will also take place in the Great National Assembly Square starting at 08:00 on May 9.
- A “Victory” motor vehicle rally will take place on May 9. The rally will start from the Great National Assembly Square, and the column will drive through the central streets of Chisinau. The streets are not typically closed to other traffic during the rally.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to avoid demonstrations and large crowds. Even peaceful demonstrations can be unpredictable.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Embassy’s webpage to view the most recent safety and security alerts for U.S. citizens.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Expect traffic delays and road closures.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova +373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs telephone +1 (202)-501-4444 (from overseas) or +1 (888) 407-4747 (from the U.S.)
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter