Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
Location: Downtown Chisinau
Event: A protest is planned for Sunday, February 19 at 1:00 PM in downtown Chisinau, in front of Parliament. Additional police presence and traffic congestion in the area is expected due to street closures associated with the protest. A section of Ștefan cel Mare Boulevard near the Parliament is expected to be closed to vehicle traffic, from Mihail Viteazul Street to Bănulescu-Bodoni Street. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn dangerous at any time. U.S. citizens are encouraged to avoid the area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstration
- Exercise caution in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Expect traffic delays and road closures
- Keep a low profile
- Review your personal security plans
U.S. Embassy Chisinau reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security and to review emergency procedures, as outlined in the State Department’s Worldwide Caution Travel Advisory.
The Embassy will continue to review the situation and provide additional information as needed.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova, +373 22 40 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs, 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter