- On September 25th at 15:00, the pensionaries are planning to protest in front of the Parliament. They will gather at the Great National Assembly Square and march to the Parliament. The march will be led by the police and about 1,000 people are expected to participate in Friday’s protest.
- On September 26, 2015 from 10:00 to 12:00 the “Federation of Trade Unions of workers Insurance and Banking establishment” will organize a protest in front of the National Bank of Moldova located on 1 Grigore Vieru Blvd. The participants will protest against the liquidation of three banks: Savings Bank, “Banca Sociala”and BC “Unibank” S.A. About 200 people are expected to take part at the protest.
- Starting September 27, the Socialist Party and “Our Party” are planning continuous protests in front of the Parliament. They will gather near the Circus at 13:00 and marching towards the Parliament, carrying Moldovan flags. It has also been mentioned that the protest will be permanent, with tents pitched in front of the Parliament. Both Parties reserved the protest area for the constant protests until December 31, 2015. They have stated that 60,000 people are expected to participate at Sunday’s protest, and they are asking for the public to participate.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming arteries to the city in which they occur. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Moldova Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, located at 103 Str. Alexei Mateevici, at +373 22 408-300 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +373 22 237-345/408-445.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).