The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau informs U.S. citizens in Moldova that several demonstrations and protest meetings are planned throughout Chisinau on June 25-26, including but not limited to the following:
- On Thursday, June 25, 2015 a meeting will be organized in front of the General Prosecutor’s Office, and it will be followed by a march. It is scheduled to last from 12:00 to 14:00. The General Prosecutor’s Office is located on 26 Banulescu Bodoni Street. About 150 people are expected to take part at the meeting/march.
- On Friday, June 26, 2015, Natalia Chicu is organizing a “Free Hugs” Flash mob near the Arch of Triumph from 17:00 till 22:30. More than 900 people are expected to take part in this event.
- On Friday, June 26, 2015, the Liberal Party and the Socialist Party are planning to have a meeting with voters. This is the last day when the Parties can meet the voters before the election. Both Parties reserved the time for meeting from 09:00 till 22:00, exact times of the meetings are unknown.
The Liberal Party is organizing a meeting in Valea Morilor Park. Approximately 6,000 people are expected to participate.
The Socialist Party reserved meeting venues in all Chisinau districts. Potential meeting places for the Socialist Party are: Europe Square; Cathedral Square; Opera and Ballet Theatre Square; On Mircea cel Batrin Street – Ciocana distreect; Traian and Independentei Str. Intersection; Sarmizecetusa street- Botanica District; near the “Gaudeamus” cinema; “Alunelul” Park Buiucani district; Riscani Park; In front of the Grand Holl center; and Academy of Science Square. 2000 people are expected to take part at each meeting.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming arteries to the city in which they occur. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Moldova Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, located at 103 Str. Alexei Mateevici, at +373 22 408-300 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +373 22 237-345/408-445.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).