The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau informs U.S. citizens in Moldova that The Socialist Party (PSRM) has declared various protest venues. Potential protest places for the Socialist Party are:
- In front of the National Agency for Energy Regulation – 90 Columna Str. In front of the National Bank of Moldova – 1 Grigore Vieru Blvd.
- In front of Chisinau City Hall – 83 Stefan cel Mare Blvd.
- In front of Parliament – 1005 Stefan cel Mare Blvd.
- On Main Square.
Participants will protest against the increasing of tariffs for electricity and natural gas. Protests may occur anytime between 8:00-23:00. Protests are expected to begin today. There is a possibility that the Socialist Party will have recurring protests at the locations above for the next three months. Approximately 300 people are expected to participate.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming arteries to the city in which they occur. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Moldova Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, located at 103 Str. Alexei Mateevici, at +373 22 408-300 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +373 22 237-345/408-445.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).