On Sunday, April 24th beginning at 1200 a protest against the government of Moldova will take place on the Great National Assembly Square. The protest was organized by the platform Da. Our Party. Supporters will also attend. Approximately 50,000 people are expected to participate. Traffic on Stefan cel Mare Blvd may be blocked while the protest is taking place.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn violent. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming arteries to the city in which they occur. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution , Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Moldova Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, located at 103 Str. Alexei Mateevici, at +373 22 408-300 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +373 22 237-345/408-445.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.