Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (May 18, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: The National Public Health Emergency Commission in Moldova issued a State of Public Health Emergency effective May 16 until June 30. The announcements from the Commission including the restrictions imposed by the ongoing State of Public Health Emergency are available on the Government of Moldova website.
The Chisinau International Airport is still closed to commercial flights. The Government of Moldova will review the airport status in late May with a possible reopening scheduled for May 30. We recommend that you check with your airline or travel agent regularly for the most current information on your flight.
Moldova will continue to offer charter flights to various European cities that might allow a U.S. citizen to transit to a connecting flight to the United States. Information on upcoming flights is announced on the website of the Moldovan Civil Aviation Authority. All interested U.S. citizens should consider these opportunities; there is no guarantee of other opportunities to depart Moldova until the airport reopens and commercial airlines resume normal operations. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights to Moldova at this time. We encourage U.S. citizens to consider seriously your limited travel options and your decision to remain in Moldova or to return to the United States.
Under the State of Public Health Emergency, only Moldovan citizens, residents, and diplomats may enter the country. If you have questions about entering Moldova, please refer your questions to the Moldovan call center.
The Moldovan border is still closed, and Moldova is only allowing entry to Moldovan citizens and residents, accredited diplomats, and those with pre-coordinated transit permits, including cargo trucks. Anyone currently entering Moldova must self-quarantine for two weeks and local authorities will verify compliance.
The Government of Moldova has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. The use of face masks on public transport and in commercial and closed public areas is mandatory. Educational institutions are closed through the end of the academic year. At this time, public venues, gyms, and malls remain closed. Parks are open, but groups larger than three people are not permitted. Those of over 63 years of age are only allowed to leave their home in limited circumstances. Additional restrictions could be imposed with little or no notice.
The Moldovan Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection announced the first confirmed case of Coronavirus COVID-19 in Chisinau, Moldova on March 7, 2020. As of May 18, Moldova has more than 6000 confirmed cases, including cases of person to person transmission.
Effective March 16, the U.S. Embassy in Chisinau suspended routine consular services, including all visa operations. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to not travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Peace Corps has withdrawn all their staff from Moldova.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, contact your primary care physician or call 112. Visit the website of the Moldovan Ministry of Health for additional information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter