Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (July 28, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: The National Public Health Emergency Commission in Moldova has issued a State of Public Health Emergency effective until August 31. Announcements from the Commission and restrictions under the ongoing State of Public Health Emergency are available on the Government of Moldova website.
The Chisinau International Airport opened to commercial flights on June 15, but airlines will make independent decisions on restarting service into Chisinau. Passengers should regularly check with your airline or travel agent for the most current information on available flights. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights from Moldova at this time.
Under the current travel restrictions ending August 31, foreigners are not permitted into Moldova unless they are: (1) immediate family members of Moldovan citizens; (2) persons having a visa, residency permit, or other document issued by Moldovan authorities; (3) persons traveling for “professional interest” in possession of a visa, residency permit, or other document issued by Moldovan authorities; (4) diplomats accredited to Moldova and members of international organizations and their family members; personnel who can provide humanitarian aid; (5) passengers in transit. For questions about entering Moldova, please contact the Moldovan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
As of May 26, Moldova re-opened land border crossings to international rail and auto traffic. Moldova requires a 14 day self-isolation regime (quarantine) for new arrivals, with certain exceptions including asymptomatic individuals delivering goods, crew members, students, people traveling for health care, work related travelers with visas, diplomats accredited in Moldova, and passengers in transit.
The Government of Moldova has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Under the State of Public Health Emergency, Moldova requires the use of face masks on public transport and in commercial and closed public areas. There are additional restrictions on the presence of people over the age of 63 in public spaces, and the use of playgrounds, stadiums, and parks. Additional restrictions could be lifted or (re)imposed with little notice.
The Moldovan Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection announced the first confirmed case of Coronavirus COVID-19 in Chisinau, Moldova on March 7, 2020. As of July 27, Moldova has over 23,000 confirmed cases, including cases of person to person transmission.
Effective March 16, the U.S. Embassy in Chisinau suspended routine consular services, including all visa operations except for emergency and Mission Critical services. For emergency American Citizen Services, please visit our website for additional information. You may also email us at: ChisinauACS@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to not travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Peace Corps has withdrawn all their staff from Moldova.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, contact your primary care physician or call 112. Visit the website of the Moldovan Ministry of Health for additional information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter