Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: The National Public Health Emergency Commission in Moldova issued a State of Emergency effective March 16, 2020 until May 15, 2020. The conditions the State of Emergency have been routinely updated and announcements are available on the Government of Moldova website. The Government of Moldova has not yet made an official announcement about what conditions will remain in place after May 15.
The Chisinau International Airport is closed until May 15, at the earliest. There has not yet been an official announcement on when it will reopen. If and when it officially reopens, airlines will make individual decisions about resuming service to Chisinau. The U.S. Embassy has no further information about when commercial flights will resume in Moldova or when foreigners will be permitted to enter the country. We recommend that you check with your airline or travel agent regularly for the most current information on your flight.
Moldova will offer charter flights on May 16 to London Southend (SEN) and May 17 to Paris (CDG). See our announcement. These flights will allow a U.S. citizen to transit to a connecting flight to the United States. All interested U.S. citizens should consider this opportunity; there is no guarantee of other opportunities to depart Moldova until the State of Emergency is lifted and airlines resume normal operations. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Moldova at this time. We encourage U.S. citizens to consider seriously your limited travel options and your decision to remain in Moldova or to return to the United States.
Land borders are closed to international rail service, and Ukraine and Romania have also banned entry to foreign citizens. Three border checkpoints each with Ukraine and Romania are only allowing entry to Moldovan citizens and residents, accredited diplomats, and those with pre-coordinated transit permitted, including cargo trucks. Anyone currently entering Moldova must self-quarantine for two weeks and local authorities will verify compliance.
The Government of Moldova has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Educational institutions are closed through the end of the academic year. At this time, public venues, open markets in Chisinau, and malls remain closed. Face-masks are mandatory in all enclosed public spaces effective May 7. Parks are open, but groups larger than three people are not permitted. Additional restrictions could be imposed with little or no notice.
The Moldovan Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection announced the first confirmed case of Coronavirus COVID-19 in Chisinau, Moldova on March 7, 2020. As of May 13, Moldova has over 5000 confirmed cases, including cases of person to person transmission.
Effective March 16, the U.S. Embassy in Chisinau suspended routine consular services, including all visa operations. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to not travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Peace Corps has withdrawn all their staff from Moldova.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, contact your primary care physician or call 112. Visit the website of the Moldovan Ministry of Health for additional information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter