Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 120,000 reported cases worldwide. The Moldovan Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection announced the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in Chisinau, Moldova on March 7, 2020.
On March 13, Government of Moldova announced it will ban all foreigners except those with permanent residence in Moldova from entering the country by plane. Some of the land border crossings between Romania and Ukraine have closed, and international train service has also been suspended. Please visit the website of the Moldovan Ministry of Health, Labor, and Social Protection for additional information.
The Government of Moldova has implemented enhanced border screening to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Currently screening consists of thermal scanning and questionnaires. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Anyone in Moldova who believes that they may have symptoms should call their primary care physician or call 122.
Moldova now requires all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who have been in a Level 3 country to self-isolate for 14 days, consistent with CDC recommendations. The Moldovan government has closed all schools and universities, museums, theaters and other public venues. All mass events with over 50 people have been banned.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Moldova Country Specific Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.