This one-year, full scholarship program is offered to mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, a public service commitment, and the capacity to take full advantage of a self-defined program of independent study at a leading U.S. university. The program awards a certificate from the U.S. Government; it is not designed to deliver an advanced degree.
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program brings accomplished professionals from designated countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Europe, and Eurasia to the United States at a midpoint in their careers for a year of study and related professional experiences. The Humphrey Program was initiated in 1978 to honor the memory and accomplishments of the late Senator and Vice President, Hubert H. Humphrey. Fellows are selected on their potential for national leadership and commitment to public service.
The program provides a basis for establishing lasting ties between citizens of the United States and their professional counterparts in other countries, fostering an exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding throughout the world.
Fellowships are granted competitively to professional candidates with a commitment to public service in either the public or private sector.
- Agricultural development/agricultural economics;
- Drug abuse education, treatment and prevention;
- Economic development/Finance and banking;
- Educational administration, planning and policy;
- HIV/AIDS policy and prevention;
- Human resource management;
- Human rights;
- Natural resources and environmental management;
- Public health policy and management;
- Public policy analysis and public administration;
- Teaching of English as a foreign language;
- Technology policy and management;
- Trafficking in persons, policy and prevention;
- Urban and regional planning
- Higher Education Administration
- Substance Abuse Education, Prevention and Treatment
Interested applicants must apply on-line. After national selection, final nominations are reviewed in the United States by independent review committees. These review committees make recommendations to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board. Awards are announced by March 2017 for Fellowships during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Terms and Conditions:
The Humphrey Fellowship provides: international travel, tuition and university fees, accident/sickness insurance, monthly maintenance allowance and funding for books and professional activities. The Humphrey Program does not provide financial support for accompanying dependents.