Message to U.S. Citizens – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (April 8, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: Current Status of Passport Applications Overseas
Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, the U.S Department of State began limiting its domestic passport operations. Effective April 2, the Department further limited its ability to offer routine passport and citizenship services overseas.
For U.S. citizens in the United States, we are only able to offer in-person service at domestic passport agencies or centers for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.
For American Citizen Services overseas, please contact the nearest embassy or consulate.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau can assist with an emergency passport for an adult or a minor. Until further notice, we can no longer process and receive full validity passports until U.S. printing facilities re-open. We continue to process emergency limited validity passports. If you have not received your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), an emergency passport may be issued. Visit our website for more information or contact us at Chisinau-CA@state.gov.
We encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest updates in your country, as well as the days and hours of American Citizen Services and information on how to depart Moldova.
If you have previously applied for a passport or citizenship service, you should expect significant delays receiving your passport and your citizenship evidence documents. Contact your nearest embassy or consulate to check on the status of your passport or citizenship document such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Please consider waiting to apply until we resume normal operations if you do not have an immediate need to renew your passport.
For emergency passport services for U.S. citizens abroad, please contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate closest to your current location.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to not travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, contact your primary care physician or call 112.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.