The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau opens applications for a one-month fellowship in the United States for journalists from the Republic of Moldova.
In partnership with U.S. Agency for Global Media, the U.S. Embassy in Chisinau will provide an opportunity for experienced radio, television or online journalists from the Republic of Moldova to obtain in-depth media training in Washington, DC. The fellowship participants will spend one month, starting in October 2019 or January 2020, working in the office of Voice of America’s (VOA) Russian or Ukrainian Service and Polygraph team in Washington, DC.
The fellowship program will provide an opportunity to experience the U.S. newsroom workflow and editorial policy, attend Congressional hearings and think-tank discussions, contribute content to the VOA Russian or Ukrainian (in Russian) Service programming, and work on fact-checking projects for Polygraph, under the supervision of senior editors. In addition, the selected journalists will produce stories for the media organizations in Moldova that employ the fellowship participants.
The Embassy will issue grants to the fellowship participants to cover the costs for international travel, lodging, meals, visas, and travel insurance for the one-month fellowships.
Important: Please consider that successful applicants are expected to organize their own travel, accommodation, and other logistical arrangements in compliance with applicable US regulations.
The fellowship program offers to the participants:
- Tour of VOA broadcast operations.
- Participation in VOA editorial meetings.
- Work on assignments with the VOA reporters.
- Peer to peer discussions with VOA journalists.
- Observation of live and pre-recorded on-air show production.
- Access to U.S. Congress hearings and think-tank events that are open to public.
- Original reporting and production of a story on topic selected in coordination with VOA. Journalists will report back to editors from VOA, who will guide them in producing the story for publication or broadcast.
- Fellows’ stories may be selected for publication on the VOA website with rights to re-print/re-broadcast on non-commercial basis.
- Production of original stories for the media organizations in Moldova that employ fellows.
- Fellows will receive VOA Certificates of Graduation upon completion of the program.
Tentative Dates: January 6- January 31, 2020 or October 21 – November 18, 2019
How to apply:
All interested individuals need to submit their CV and a letter of intent which includes links to recent articles or other work to MoldovaGrants@state.gov by July 24, 2019.
Please mention your preferred period of travel in the letter of intent. Fluency in Russian language and communication skills in English are required!