Event: On January 23, the U.S. Department of State updated its Travel Advisory for Ukraine. The Department of State’s guidance to U.S. citizens in Moldova remains unchanged at this time: Reconsider travel to Moldova due to COVID-19 and unresolved conflict.
The Department of State continues to recommend that U.S. citizens exercise increased caution in Transnistria due to the unresolved conflict between this breakaway region and the central government. For more information, please review the latest information on Moldova’s country information page.
If you are visiting or living in Moldova and have not yet enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), we strongly encourage you to do so. STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Benefits of Enrolling in STEP:
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
Stay informed, stay connected, stay safe!
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens in Moldova are reminded to exercise increased awareness and vigilance regarding political and military tensions in the region.
- Visit the Embassy’s webpage to view the most recent safety and security alerts for U.S. citizens.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Familiarize yourself with information on what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get the COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy to contact you in an emergency. If you do not have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website for current Travel Advisories. Read the Country Specific Information for Moldova. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova +373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs telephone (888)-407-4747 or (202)-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter