Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (April 1, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: Air Moldova has announced several future charter flights to European locations to repatriate Moldovan citizens. We understand U.S. citizens may purchase a ticket on outbound flights to depart Moldova. There is a flight scheduled to fly from Chisinau (KIV) to London Stansted Airport (STN) (https://www.stanstedairport.com/) on April 4. Details of the flight can be found below.
Date: 4 APRIL 2020 / 13h40
Destination: London Stansted (STN)
Booking: https://www.zbor.md/ro/charter-kiv-lon or +373-22-225-857
If you want to join the London flight or any future Moldovan charter flights, please purchase a ticket online in advance or contact the provider at the number above. Please note that the U.S. Embassy has no further information on these flights. We are merely sharing this information to facilitate opportunities to depart Moldova with the goal of eventually returning to the United States.
You are responsible for making your own connecting flights from London and all expenses for changing airports. Please note that Stansted Airport is located 70km northeast of Central London and does not offer flights to the United States. You will need to travel from Stansted Airport to London Heathrow and likely spend the night in the UK due to the late arrival of the Stansted flight. Currently, most public transportation and shuttles in the UK are not operating; passengers may need to take a taxi or Uber to transfer airports at their own expense.
We have been informed that U.S. citizens should be able to transit the United Kingdom if they are in possession of a valid flight ticket to depart within 24 hours, ideally. If you are not a U.S. citizen, we cannot assist you in determining if you need a visa to transit the United Kingdom, but you can refer to this website. You should contact your own Embassy in the United Kingdom for assistance.
If you decide to take this flight, we request that you notify us at Chisinau-CA@state.gov so that we can notify the U.S. Embassy in London that you will transit the country. We can also forward you a list of hotels in the Heathrow area that are currently open, as most are now closed. If you need to contact the U.S. Embassy in London while transiting, visit their website or dial (0)20-7499-9000 for emergencies involving U.S. citizens.
The U.S. Embassy cannot guarantee that this flight will depart as scheduled. If you choose to pursue this option to depart, we encourage you to make sure that your onward travel arrangements are refundable.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau continues to operate but has suspended visa services. The Consular Section remains open for American Citizen Services.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to not travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, contact your primary care physician or call 112.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.