Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (March 16, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: The Moldovan Government announced that it will close the Chisinau airport effective 12:00 am on March 17, 2020. Land borders with Romania and Ukraine are also in the process of closing. After March 17, options for U.S. citizens to depart Moldova will be extremely limited, perhaps impossible, until April 1, 2020 at the earliest.
The U.S. Embassy is now collecting information on U.S. citizens currently seeking to depart Moldova to return to the United States. Please notify the Embassy immediately – contact information below or via our website – describing your current situation and providing complete contact information.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau continues to operate but has suspended visa services. The Consular Section remains open for American Citizen Services.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, you should contact your primary care physician or call 112.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Moldova Country Specific Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter