Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (March 27, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau is trying to facilitate the travel of U.S. citizens to Bucharest via charter bus. The bus will leave at approximately 17:00 on Monday, March 30, 2020 from Chisinau to the Bucharest airport. Please contact us immediately by email (Chisinau-CA@state.gov) if you are a U.S. citizen interested in overland transit to Bucharest. We will confirm details with interested passengers closer to departure.
The Romanian Government closed the border with Moldova to foreign citizens. The land border with Ukraine is also closed. U.S. citizens have limited overland options to depart Moldova until these restrictions are lifted.
Please note that individuals are responsible for making their own travel arrangements from Bucharest (e.g., to the U.S. via onward commercial air flights).
The airport in Bucharest, Romania continues to operate with limited options to return to the United States via Amsterdam on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. It is unclear how long these options will be viable. All U.S. citizens seeking to leave Moldova via commercial air from Romania should consider utilizing this route while still available. Currently KLM has flights scheduled to depart Bucharest on March 31, April 3, and April 5 that would allow connections to the United States.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau continues to operate but has suspended visa services. The Consular Section remains open for American Citizen Services.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to not travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Seek immediate medical care if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last six weeks. In Moldova, contact your primary care physician or call 112.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Moldova.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.