Event: The Government of Moldova announced that its airspace will remain closed until further notice to commercial flights following the issuance of NOTAMs (Notices to Airmen) by Ukrainian and Russian authorities. U.S. citizens wishing to depart Moldova may cross by land to Romania, where international flights are available. Land border crossing points with Romania continue to function as normal, though wait times vary. The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau remains open, and the Consular Section continues to provide consular services.
The U.S. Department of State issued a Level 4 Travel Advisory to U.S. citizens in Moldova on February 27, advising U.S. citizens not to travel to Moldova due to armed conflict in neighboring Ukraine, the unresolved conflict between the breakaway region of Transnistria and the central government, and COVID-19. U.S. citizens in Transnistria should depart immediately via commercial or private means. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in Transnistria, as U.S. government employees have restrictions on traveling to the area.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau has appointments available to renew your U.S. passport and obtain other emergency consular services. Please visit our website or contact ChisinauACS@state.gov with any questions.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy to contact you in an emergency.
- Visit the Embassy’s webpage to view the most recent safety and security alerts for U.S. citizens.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Familiarize yourself with information on what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
- Make a contingency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get the COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website for current Travel Advisories. Read the Country Specific Information for Moldova. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova +373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs telephone (888)-407-4747 or (202)-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter