Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Chisinau (October 30, 2020)
Location: Moldova, country-wide
Event: Moldovan Presidential Election
Moldova’s Presidential election is scheduled for Sunday, November 1. As with all elections, the possibility exists for public rallies or demonstrations during the election, or when the outcome is announced. Please remember that even peaceful public gatherings can be unpredictable and could become confrontational. In addition, large public gatherings can affect all major traffic arteries in the city in which they occur.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of any demonstrations;
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests;
- Monitor local media for updates;
- Expect traffic delays and road closures;
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Review your personal security plans;
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Chisinau reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security and to review emergency procedures, as outlined in the State Department’s Worldwide Caution Travel Advisory.
The Embassy will continue to review the situation and provide additional information as needed.
- U. S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 22 40 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter