Opportunity Title: SMALL GRANTS FOR CONTENT PRODUCTION
Opportunity Number: PAS-CHISINAU-FY19-12-MEDIA
CFDA Number: 19.900
CFDA Title: AEECA PD Programs
Program: Media Program (AEECA)
Announcement Type: Open Competition
Announcement Date: Tuesday, March 05, 2019
Submission Deadline: Friday, April 05, 2019
Anticipated Award Date: Wednesday, May 01, 2019
Agency Contact: Alexandru Leanca, LeancaAI@state.gov
The U.S. Embassy in Moldova seeks to support independent voices in the Moldovan media landscape. Specifically, this initiative seeks to support the development of a community of filmmakers and digital content creators who use their medium to tell powerful and engaging stories.This initiative focuses on the narrative short format (live action, maximum running time of five minutes – 5:00).
The embassy seeks a partner to implement a 48-hour film challenge that will allow emerging filmmakers from Moldova (and possibly neighbor countries) to showcase their talent and develop a community of creative content producers. Emerging filmmakers would be professionals in the early to middle stages of their career (at least one year of experience working in a professional media environment).
During the activity, filmmakers will receive instructions on a theme, write a script, produce a short film (under five minutes in duration), and then present the final product to peers in the final hours of the event. All of this is to take place within 48 hours. The films will then be evaluated and recognized for excellence accordingly by a small panel.
The activity should include at least five production teams (team generally includes 5-10 people, including screenwriter/director, director of photography, editor, actors, etc…from Moldova and two teams of filmmakers from a neighboring country. There is a possibility of bringing a U.S. expert to assist in implementation. Those costs should be included in proposal if relevant.
The assistance will be in the form of a grant or cooperative agreement, and the U.S. Embassy will be involved in the project implementation. Enlistment of a media partner, ideally a TV outlet that can broadcast the final projects and making-of, is strongly encouraged.
Implementing partner will be responsible for overall logistical coordination, including promotion of the event, selection of participants, travel and lodging for international participants. Proposed venue is the America House in Chisinau, but other options will be considered.
We anticipate the project to run 3-4 months.
The hereby project aims for the following objectives:
- Build capacity for local content production among emerging filmmakers
- Provide the next generation of producers, directors, editors and actors a foundation to develop ties within the creative community, both locally and regionally.
Funding Instrument Type: Grant or Cooperative Agreement
Funding per grant: $50,000
Expected award date: May 1, 2019
The Department also reserves the right to award more or less funding as deemed in the best interest of the U.S. Government. The performance period for funded projects will be for up to 4 months. Recipients of funding under this announcement will be subject to the Department of State terms and conditions and the terms set forth in this announcement. Additional terms and conditions may apply as warranted. Quarterly or Semi-annual technical and financial reports may be required during the term of the project. A final assessment at the end of the project is mandatory for all grants.
Award recipients must comply with Executive Order 13224, Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to commit, or Support Terrorism. Information about this Executive Order can be found at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2001-09-25/pdf/01-24205.pdf.
Cost Sharing or Matching
Applicants are not required to include funding from other donors
Eligibility is limited to not-for-profit organizations (NGOs, CSOs, Think-Tanks) and independent mass media (often registered as Limited Liability Companies) officially registered in the Republic of Moldova.
Direct funding for U.S. and third-country institutions is not available under this funding opportunity. The organizations without Moldovan registration can apply only as partners through an eligible organization.
Organizations submitting proposals must meet the following criteria:
- Organizations may submit only one proposal.
- Public Affairs Section reserves the right to request additional background information on applicants that do not have previous experience administering federal grant awards, and these applicants may be subject to limited funding on a pilot basis.
- Please note: the Department of State prohibits profit under its assistance awards to for-profit or commercial organizations. No funds will be paid as profit to any recipient. Profit is defined as any amount in excess of allowable direct and indirect costs. The permissibility of costs incurred by commercial organizations is determined in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) at 48 CFR Part 31, Cost Accounting Standards, and Part 31 Contract Cost Principles and Procedures. Program income earned by the recipient must be deducted from the total project or program allowable cost in determining the net allowable costs on which the federal share of costs is based.
Please note: no entity listed on the Excluded Parties List System in the System for Award Management (SAM) is eligible for any assistance or can participate in any activities under an award in accordance with the OMB guidelines at 2 CFR 180 that implement Executive Orders 12549 (3 CFR Part 1986 Comp., p. 189) and 12689 (3 CFR Part 1989 Comp., p. 235), “Debarment and Suspension.” All applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Excluded Parties List System in SAM (www.sam.gov) to ensure that no ineligible entity is included.
Click here for APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION INFORMATION