Travel Advisory – U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova (August 7, 2020)
Location: Republic of Moldova
Event: Reconsider travel to Moldova due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution due to unresolved conflict.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Moldova due to COVID-19.
Moldova has lifted stay-at-home orders and resumed some transportation and business operations. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Moldova.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Transnistria due to the unresolved conflict between this breakaway region and the central government.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Moldova:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Moldova.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Transnistria – Exercise Increased Caution
Transnistria is a breakaway region that is not under the control of the central government in Chisinau. Visitors may encounter difficulties at checkpoints along roads leading into and out of Transnistria. Taking photographs of military facilities and security forces is prohibited and may result in trouble with authorities.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in Transnistria as U.S. government employees have restrictions on traveling to the area.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Moldova Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter