Birth (paper application)

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to obtain an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This is a citizenship document, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting their U.S. citizenship in accordance with the Immigration and Nationality Act.

CRBA applications are accepted until the child’s 18th birthday, but you should apply as soon as is practical after their birth. Applications submitted later may take significant time to resolve. U.S. citizenship must be determined before the child can obtain a U.S. passport.

If you are over the age of 18, do not have an issued CRBA, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.  If you wish to make a claim to citizenship, please visit our Passport Services page to make an appointment.  You do not need a CRBA to apply for a passport.

Anyone who has U.S. citizenship or a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they also have another citizenship.

Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad:

The following forms and documents are required:

  • Completed “Application for Consular Report of Birth”

Form DS-2029 (PDF 105 KB). This form can be filled out and submitted by either parent. The application form DS-2029 requires you to list your precise periods of physical presence in the United States, including the places where you lived (from month-day-year to month-day-year). The application must be signed in the presence of a consular officer (or a notary public if both parents are in the U.S.).  Please fill out the information as thoroughly and accurately as you can. Incomplete or incorrect applications will delay processing and may require that you make a new appointment at a later date to submit the complete application.  For an example of a completed application, please click on this Sample (PDF 137 KB).

  • Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support 

Form DS-5507.  This form must be completed by the U.S. citizen father if the child was born out of wedlock and the mother is not a U.S. citizen.  It is not required if both parents are U.S. citizens or if the parents were married before the birth of the child.  The affidavit requires the U.S. citizen father to acknowledge that the child is his, and to state, as specifically as possible, the parent’s periods of physical presence in the United States.  Extra sheets may be attached as necessary.  The document must be notarized or signed in front of the consular officer at the time of application.

  • Child’s Moldovan Birth Certificate 

Issued by the Agency of Public Services where the birth was registered.

  • Proof of parents’ marriage at the time of birth

The original marriage certificate. The marriage certificate must be an original document issued by local, state, or national government authorities.  If your marriage certificate is in a language other than Romanian or English, the original certificate must be presented along with a certified English translation.

  • Proof of termination of any prior marriages for both parents, if applicable

If either parent has been married previously, the consular officer will request evidence that any previous marriages were terminated. Accepted original documents include divorce decrees, legal dissolution of marriage, or death certificates. Please bring certified translations if the documents are issued in a language other than English or Romanian.

  • Evidence of parent’s US citizenship 

The U.S. citizen parent must present his/her U.S. passport.  If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, he/she must bring the original Certificate of Naturalization in addition to their passport.

  • Evidence of physical presence

The U.S. citizen parent needs to bring proof of physical presence in the United States for a period of time required by law. To check the physical presence requirements for transmission, please review the Citizenship transmission requirementsPrimary evidence documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth include: transcripts from high school and/or college, wage statements, military separation statement (DD214). Other additional evidence may also include: credit card bills, utility bills, tax forms, airline ticket stubs, passports with entry/exit stamps.

  • Proof of parents’ identity for a non-U.S. citizen parent 

A non-U.S. citizen parent must bring their passport or other government issued photo-ID, such as a national identity card (“carte de identitate”).

  • Proof of paternity/maternity 

In cases in which paternity or maternity is in question, the consular officer may request additional proof.  Sometimes this proof may take the form of family photographs, baptism records, or other documents.  In other cases, DNA testing may be suggested.  If DNA testing is recommended, the test has to be performed under specific guidelines. Please note:  In the event that paternity is not confirmed, the Consular Section is not able to refund the fees paid for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

  • Records of Pregnancy 

If available, records of the mother’s pregnancy, for example, sonograms, doctor’s certificates, photographs of mother during pregnancy and photographs from the hospital.

  • Additional evidence

The consular officer, at his/her discretion, may request additional documents or other evidence as necessary. You will be advised at the time of application if such evidence is required in your case.

  • Application Fee

The $100 USD application fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier when the application is submitted. We accept cash payments in U.S. dollars or Moldovan lei or payment by most major credit cards. We cannot accept checks. Due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site. To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring sufficient cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card. The fee is non-refundable. If you also request a U.S. passport for the child, the passport fee must be paid when the application is submitted. For a list of fees and forms used for Passport Applications, go to

If you wish to apply for a passport for your child at the same time as the CRBA, you will need the following:

Requirements for Passport Application for a Minor or Child

  • Personal Appearance

All children under age 16, including infants, must apply in person, accompanied by at least one parent. Two-Parent consent is required by law. Both parents should appear in person, if possible, with their passports to sign for their minor children. Parents must also bring the child’s original birth certificate as evidence of parental relationship.

If only one parent can be present, that parent must provide a signed and notarized DS-3053 form dated within the prevous 90 days from the second parent, giving consent. If a parent has sole custody, an original or court certified copy of the custody order granting sole custody must be submitted with the application. If one parent is deceased, the death certificate should be submitted.

  • Application Form

Fill out electronically and print the DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form. If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here for Form DS-11 (PDF 81.3 KB). You must print the form but DO NOT sign it until the interview with the consular officer.

  • Photograph

Bring one 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) color photograph with a white background. For additional information on passport photos go here.

All documents must be originals. Any documents not in English, Romanian, or Russian must include a translation. We may request whatever additional documentation is necessary to meet these requirements. Incomplete applications or missing documents will require another appointment to complete the process.

To schedule an appointment for passport service please click here

  • Social Security Numbers

If your child has been issued a social security number (SSN) you must provide it on the application for a U.S. passport. If the name on their social security record does not match the name on the passport application, please make sure that question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’ is completed.

If your child does not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: My child (child’s name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

To schedule an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, with or without a U.S. passport application, please send an email message to


Once we have everything we need, processing time for a passport is normally about seven to ten days. However, because computers break, unexpected events happen, and mail delivery is sometimes late, please allow plenty of time before you plan to travel. It is better to begin the process earlier.

You can collect the new passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad at the Embassy. Your child’s Social Security card will be sent to you directly by the Social Security Administration. Please allow three to six months for the card to arrive.

Does your child have at least one Moldovan parent? If so, he or she may qualify for Moldovan citizenship. A U.S. Citizen must use his or her U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States, even if he or she has dual citizenship. The Moldovan passport may have to be used when entering or exiting Moldova.

If your child was born abroad you will need to complete the Report of Birth process abroad; it cannot be done in the United States.  If your child was born in Moldova, the processing must be done in Moldova.

While you can file the documents at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, that office is required to send them to us in Moldova for processing. This will take extra time, so it is best to complete the entire procedure while you are still in Moldova.

Additional copies of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad are available from the Department of State only; no records are kept at the Embassy in Chisinau.