ACS Frequently Asked Questions

No, if you have a U.S. passport, you do not need a visa to enter Moldova. You can stay up to 90 days before you need a residence permit.

Sign up for the Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), at, so we can send you announcements and contact you in case of an emergency. If you are in a hurry and don’t want to create a username/password, you can just subscribe to our email list by clicking on “Email Subscriptions”.

You must apply for a residence permit at the Bureau for Migration and Asylum, 124 Stefan cel Mare Street, Chisinau. Do this well before your 90 days stay expires. You will need to provide a “criminal record certificate”

U.S. citizens who need criminal records from the United States should review the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website at You can also check with your U.S. state of residence on obtaining a certificate from that state

For more information, please click here.

There are no restrictions on travel, but if you get into trouble there, we have very little access and may not be able to assist you.

If you stay more than three days, you need to register with the police. Your host or your hotel should be able to help you with this.

You can enter Moldova through the separatist region of Transnistria, but central government authorities do not register you at that border. If you enter through Transnistria, you must register within three business days of your arrival with the territorial offices in Varnita or Anenii Noi, or, with the Ministry of Information Development (MID) registration office located in Chisinau on 42, Pushkin Street.   Another option is to register with Bureau of Migration and Asylum, located on 124 Stefan cel Mare street or at any regional branch of Bureau of Migration and Asylum.

Please note: The U.S. Embassy has very limited access to Transnistria, and may not be able to provide the full range of assistance to American citizens in that region.

All information about marriage in Moldova can be found on our website, and on the Moldovan government website,

Find information about vital records click here.

The U.S. Embassy cannot provide apostille services. An apostille certificate can only be issued by a “competent U.S. authority.” Each state has a competent authority, usually the office of the Secretary of State in the state where the document was issued. To find the authority for your Wyoming document for example, search for “apostille Wyoming,” and look for the official state site in the results.

Additional information about Apostille service can be found here.

This statement can be obtained at the U.S. Embassy in Chisinau.

For information how to obtain a notarized statement please see here.

Consular fees can be paid in dollars or Moldovan lei, or by using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diner’s Club or Discover. The Consular Section does not accept checks or money orders. Non-immigrant visa fees must be paid at Moldagroindbank, not at the U.S. Embassy.

Non-immigrant visa applicants must qualify for a visa based on their own ties to a place of residence outside of the United States. While an invitation may be helpful, friends and relatives in the United States cannot “guarantee” that visa applicants will meet the requirements. Find more information on visa requirements here.

Both Americans and non-citizens can have your documents notarized at the US Embassy during American Citizens Services hours. For more information, click here.

Information about passports can be found here.

Find more information about lost or stolen passports here.

Information about applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a U.S. passport for your child can be found here.

Please find information about opening a new business.

Please find a list of doctors and clinics here.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide legal assistance or advice, and we cannot serve as legal representation. Please find a list of lawyers here.

We will contact Moldovan authorities to check on the person’s condition. We can provide information on legal procedures in Moldova, and a list of attorneys. However, the US Embassy does not provide any legal assistance, and we cannot serve as a lawyer. The U.S. Embassy also cannot get anyone released, since anyone in Moldova is subject to Moldova’s laws. However, we can arrange communications with family and friends in the United States.

No, the U.S. Embassy is not permitted to give tax advice. You should contact an accountant, a tax attorney, or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for assistance with your taxes. There are also many online tax filing programs and services. Tax forms, publications, and guidance are available at

Maybe. Check IRS Publication 17 (Tax Guide for Individuals) and Publication 54 (Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad). Tax forms, publications, and guidance are available at

Be careful of internet dating scams, especially if your fiancée has asked for money. Unfortunately, these scams are common in Moldova. Be very careful before sending money.

All our job vacancies are published on our website here.

You can enroll with the Embassy at and we will send you messages for American citizens residing in Moldova. Some of those messages will be about events organized by the Embassy.