Additional Resources for U.S. Citizens

Moldovan Civil Documents

There is no central office for vital records in Moldova. To obtain copies of Moldovan birth, marriage, divorce, or death records, write to the Civil Registration District Office in the Town Hall where the event occurred. Current registration of vital records is considered fairly comprehensive. Prices vary by document and district.

The Embassy cannot obtain Moldovan civil documents on behalf of private citizens, nor can we provide translation services. If you wish assistance in the filing process, please refer to our lists of local attorneys.

Criminal Record Checks

U.S. citizens or others who resided in the United States may be asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record”.

The U.S. Embassy cannot issue an affidavit of no outstanding U.S. criminal warrant.  This affidavit is not sufficient to satisfy the legal requirements of a criminal background check in Moldova. All U.S. citizens who need this service will need to obtain a police certificate, as explained below. Note that it is much easier to obtain this certificate while you are in the United States and it is recommended that anyone seeking residency or who may need a criminal background check, do so before arriving in Moldova, if possible.

U.S. citizens who need criminal records from the United States should review the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website at  You can also check with your U.S. state of residence on obtaining a certificate from that state.

The FBI requires fingerprints to obtain a criminal records check.  Fingerprints can be recorded electronically in the United States, at a local police station or approved business.  Please note that U.S. embassies and consulates abroad do not provide fingerprinting services.

If living in Moldova, a fingerprint card can be printed from the FBI website (on appropriate card stock). Fingerprints can then be ink printed on the card at:

Police Inspectorate Forensics lab (free of charge)
Address: Str-la Putna (V. Komarov) nr. 10, Unitatea de Garda,  Chisinau, Moldova
Tel: (+373) 22 868-222
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday-Friday (closed 12:00 to 13:00 for lunch)
Note: Applicants must bring a valid passport as proof of identity.  Your fingerprints will become part of the Moldovan national fingerprint database.

GSS- Securitate (300 Moldovan lei)
Address: Str. Maria Cebotari Str 9/2, Chisinau, Moldova
Tel: (+373) 069338888 or (+373) 022 233888

NOTE: The Bureau for Migration and Asylum will not accept a U.S. police certificate without a Hague apostille. To obtain an apostille on an FBI Criminal Background Check, see the information on the U.S. Department of State website.  For State/local police background checks, please refer to the appropriate authority in the State that issued the document.  More information is available here.  The U.S. Embassy does not issue apostilles.

If you have questions about this process, please contact us: