Apply for Citizenship

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (under age 18)

As a U.S. citizen parent, you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy or a U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This form is evidence of U.S. citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meets the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

For more information on CRBA applications, please visit our “Birth” page. 

Claims to U.S. Citizenship (over age 18)

If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.  If, after reviewing it, you still believe you have a claim to citizenship, please visit our Passport Services page to make an appointment