As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240, which is a basic United States citizenship document, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meets the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Although applications are accepted up until the child’s 18th birthday, you should apply for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad as soon after his/her birth as is practical. Applications submitted years after the child’s birth may take significant time to resolve because evidence to prove the child’s citizenship may be difficult to obtain.

Also, a determination of acquisition of U.S. citizenship must be made before the child can obtain a U.S. passport.  Anyone who has U.S. citizenship or a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA:  If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.  If, after reviewing it, you still believe you have a claim to citizenship, please visit our Passport Services page to make an appointment.  You do not need a CRBA to apply for a passport. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country as well.

Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad:

The following forms and documents are required:

  • Completed “Application for Consular Report of Birth”– Form DS-2029. This form can be filled out and submitted by either parent. The application form DS-2029 requires you to list your precise periods of physical presence in the United States, including the places where you lived (from month-day-year to month-day-year). Please fill out the information as thoroughly and accurately as you can. Incomplete or incorrect applications will delay processing and may require that you make a new appointment at a later date to submit the complete application.  For an example of a completed application, please click on this Sample (PDF 137 KB). The application must be signed in the presence of a consular officer (or a notary public, if both parents are in the U.S.).
  • Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support – Form DS-5507.  This form must be completed by the U.S. citizen father if the child was born out of wedlock and the mother is not a U.S. citizen.  It is not required if both parents are U.S. citizens or if the parents were married before the birth of the child.  The affidavit requires the U.S. citizen father to acknowledge that the child is his, and to state, as specifically as possible, the parent’s periods of physical presence in the United States.  Extra sheets may be attached as necessary.  The document must be notarized or signed in front of the consular officer at the time of application.
  • Completed Passport Application– Form DS-11.  While you are not required to apply for your child’s passport at the same time that you apply for his/her Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you are encouraged to do so. Please do not sign the application until the consular officer interviews you. For children under age 16, the presence of the child and both parents is normally required at the time of application. Unequivocal consent to passport issuance is demonstrated by the parents signing the application form in front of a consular officer. If there are special circumstances and both parents cannot submit the application together, for example if one parent is not present in country, the absent parent’s English language, notarized Statement of Consent Form DS-3053, not older than 90 days, must be submitted. If a parent has sole custody, an original or court certified copy of the custody order granting sole custody must be submitted with the application. If one parent is deceased, the death certificate should be submitted.
  • Child’s Moldovan Birth Certificate: Issued by the Agency of Public Services where the birth was registered.
  • Proof of parents’ marriage: If the child’s parents are married, the consular officer will also request the original marriage certificate.  If either parent has been married previously, the consular officer will request evidence that any previous marriages were terminated, such as a certified divorce decree or death certificate.  The marriage certificate must be an original document issued by local, state, or national government authorities.  If your marriage certificate is in a language other than Romanian or English, the original certificate must be presented along with a certified English translation (original certificate and one photocopy).
  • Proof of termination of prior marriages for both parents, if applicable: Such as original divorce decree, dissolution of marriage or death certificate. Please bring certified translations if the documents are issued in a language other than English or Romanian.
  • Evidence of parent’s US citizenship: The U.S. citizen parent must present his/her U.S. passport.  If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized he/she must bring the original Certificate of Naturalization in addition to the passport.
  • Evidence of physical presence: The U.S. citizen parent needs to bring proof of physical presence in the United States for a period of time required by law. To check the physical presence requirements for transmission, please review the Citizenship transmission requirements listed below.   Primary evidence documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth include:  transcripts from high school and/or college, wage statements, DD214 separation statement (military members only). Secondary evidence includes: credit card bills, utility bills, tax forms, airline ticket stubs, former/current passport with stamps.
  • Proof of parents’ identity for a non-U.S. citizen parent: A non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her passport or other government issued photo-ID, such as a national identity card (“carte de identitate”).
  • Proof of paternity/maternity: In cases in which paternity or maternity is in question, the consular officer may request additional proof.  Sometimes this proof may take the form of family photographs, baptism records, or other documents.  In other cases, DNA testing may be suggested.  If DNA testing is recommended, the test has to be performed under specific guidelines. Please note:  In the event that paternity is not confirmed, the Consular Section is not able to refund the fees paid for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Records of Pregnancy: If available, records of the mother’s pregnancy, for example, sonograms, doctor’s certificates, photographs of mother during pregnancy and photographs from the hospital.
  • Additional evidence: The consular officer, at his/her discretion, may request additional documents or other evidence as necessary. You will be advised at the time of application if such evidence is required in your case.
  • Application Fee: The 100 USD application fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier when the application is submitted.  We accept cash payments in U.S. dollars or Moldovan lei.  We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card.  Due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site.  To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring sufficient cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card. The fee is non-refundable. If you also request a U.S. passport for the child, the 115 USD passport fee must be paid when the application is submitted.
  • One passport photograph: No photo is required for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad; however, if you decide to apply for your child’s passport, you must submit a passport photograph of the child, measuring 5×5 cm (2×2 inches) and with a white background.

If you do not bring the required documentation, we will suspend processing of the application and you will need to schedule another appointment.

To schedule an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, with or without a U.S. passport application, please follow this link: US Citizenship Appointment.