Citizenship Services

You can become a U.S. citizen through a variety of means—birth in the United States, birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, or through the naturalization process. For each of these, a specific series of legal requirements must be met. At the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, we can provide U.S. citizenship services for eligible individuals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents. Our Embassy also processes Certificates of Loss of Nationality for those U.S. citizens who need to give up their U.S. citizenship or believe that they have expatriated themselves.

For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA: If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law. If, after reviewing it, you still believe you have a claim to citizenship, please visit our Passport Services page to make an appointment. You do not need a CRBA to apply for a passport. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country as well.

Apply for Citizenship

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (under age 18)
  • Claims to U.S. Citizenship (over age 18)

Application to Renounce Citizenship

Dual Citizenship