(Updated April 3) COVID-19 Information https://md.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
On March 7, 2020, Moldova reported its first confirmed case of COVID-19 (also known as the Novel Coronavirus) within its borders. As of April 3, Moldova now has more than 500 confirmed cases and person to person transmission. Moldova reported its first COVID-19 death on March 18, 2020.
The Government of Moldova declared a 60-day State of Emergency effective March 16, 2020. At this time, all educational institutions, public venues, and stores other than grocery and pharmacies are closed. Additional restrictions could happen with little or no notice.
Moldova stopped all flights at the Chisinau Airport from March 17 until May 15, at the earliest. Land borders are closed to international rail service, and Ukraine and Romania have banned entry to foreign citizens.
On March 15, the Department of State authorized a global authorized departure of non-essential personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post worldwide who are determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau continues to operate but has suspended visa services. The Consular Section remains open for emergency American Citizen Services.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Moldova, as well as Ukraine and Romania, have all banned entry to foreign citizens, virtually closing the borders for all passenger travel. Commercial vehicles continue to pass.
- Moldova also requires all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who have been in a Level 3 country to self-isolate for 14 days, consistent with CDC recommendations.
- Moldova has asked people who may had contact an infected person to self-isolate at home. Anyone who believes they have symptoms or might have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their primary care physician or call 112. Do not come to the U.S. Embassy for medical assistance.
- Information about COVID-19 from the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Social Protection of the Republic of Moldova.
- Moldovan Border Police
- Toma Ciorba Hospital for Infectious Diseases in Chisinau.
- Municipal Clinical Hospital of Contagious Diseases for Children in Chisinau.
- Republican Clinical Hospital in Chisinau.
- • COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- • CDC page on COVID-19
- • Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page