TO: Department of State (CA/OCS/ACS/)
FROM: AmEmbassy Chisinau
SUBJECT: DEATH: Disposition of Remains Report
REF: 7 FAM 260
The following information is submitted in accordance with the referenced requirements. Post surveyed various area mortuaries in order to compile this data. The laws cited are from the national law of Moldova.
Last updated in November 2016
Disposition of Remains Report: Chisinau – Republic of Moldova
U.S. Embassy Information
Address: 103, Mateevici str., Chisinau, Moldova
Phone: (Country Code)+373 (Area Code) 22 (Number) 408 300
24-hr. Switchboard: +373 22 408455
Fax: +373 22 233 044
American Citizen Services e-mail address: email@example.com
State Department Country Specific Information:
State Department Travel Information: http://travel.state.gov
Registration with the U.S. Embassy: https://step.state.gov/step/
Profile of Religions of the Host Country and Religious Services Available to Visitors
Country Profile: See https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html
Religions: Eastern Orthodox Christianity is the predominant religion in Moldova.
Religious Activities for Visitors: English-language services are available in Chisinau at the Catholic Church in the city center.
Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, Episcopal, Mormon, and Jewish faiths are also represented in Moldova.
Funeral Directors, Mortician and Related Services Available in Chisinau:
DISCLAIMER: The U.S. Embassy in Moldova assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the funeral directors, morticians and other service providers.
LEGAL MEDICINE CENTER BALTI
10,1 Decebal Str., Balti
Phone: + 373 231 73198
LEGAL MEDICINE CENTER STEFAN VODA
2 Testemitanu Str., Stefan Voda
Phone number: +373 242 24449
Embalming and Shipment
147 Grenoble str., Chisinau
Phone: +373 731630; 14888
Fax: +373 22 731630
LILIA PREST COMPANY
7/2 Dacia str., Chisinau
Tel. +373 22522409; +373 69168144
“РИТУАЛЬНЫЕ УСЛУГИ” FUNERAL COMPANY
#20 Skhorsa str., Tiraspol
Tel. +373 533 91427
Profile of Services Available in Moldova:
Maximum Period before Burial
Existing Moldovan law does not address the maximum period before burial. According to sanitary rules, burials cannot normally take place within 24 hours of death. The body can be buried within 24 hours of death if there is an autopsy or juridical-medical examination. Under Moldovan law, autopsies are mandatory unless waived by the Office of the Special Prosecutor of the region.
Embalming is the only available service. There are no mandatory rules about embalming in Moldova, except in cases when the body needs to be transported.
Cremation is not available in Moldova. However, Ritus-AV Company can assist with arranging cremations in Odessa, Ukraine.
Caskets and Containers
Moldovan law does not address the shipping abroad of human remains. A casket containing a body is treated as ordinary freight. Shipping companies require that the body be placed in a metal lined casket. Suitable caskets or transfer cases are readily available in Moldova and meet the requirements of the U.S. Public Health Service and U.S. port authorities.
Exportation of Remains
Procedures and documents for the exportation of human remains are as follows:
- The remains must be embalmed.
- The remains must be enclosed in a metal-lined casket.
- A Consular Report of Death is prepared.
- A death certificate is issued by the local government authority, and is required by the Moldovan Customs Service.
- A mortician’s embalming certificate must be presented.
- A mortician’s statement of placement of remains in the coffin must also be presented.
- A copy of the deceased person’s passport must be presented.
All dollar costs should be converted at the rate of exchange of Moldovan lei to dollars.
- Local Burial: Fee includes collection and transportation of remains, wood casket and interment costs (roughly $ 500-1000).
- Embalming Fee: Includes embalming and issuance of the certificate (roughly $50-100).
- Preparation for Shipment: includes embalming, documentation, casket, storage, and local transportation (roughly $1000-1500).
- The average cost for body transportation from Chisinau to New York City or Chicago is about $5000-$6000.
When death occurs outside of the Chisinau municipal area, the remains may be transferred to Chisinau for preparation. Under these circumstances, additional transportation fees may be charged.
Airlines charge the normal freight charge per kilogram. The current charge is $4-$8 per kilogram to Frankfurt, Germany. The average weight of an export type casket with human remains is 230 kilograms. Costs for air freight shipment from Chisinau to various points in the United States will vary.
Exhumation and Shipment
Exhumation of remains is rare in Moldova, and a court decision is required to authorize one.
There are three types of autopsies:
- Judicial autopsy (for criminal investigation purpose by court order)
- Administrative autopsy (no crimes are involved, but the cause of death is unknown)
- Pathological autopsy or consent autopsy (at the request of the family)
The storage of human remains is free of charge for the first three days; after the third day, the cost for storing human remains is about $1.40 per hour.
According to local religious traditions, the body of deceased person is kept for three days in the family’s home for wake/visitation services.