Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consular officers, in certain situations, may be able to assist Americans abroad who are temporarily destitute. Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the U.S. Embassy Chisinau at +373 408 300 or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444. You can also email the American Citizens Services section at ChisinauACS@state.gov.

U.S. citizens in need of emergency financial assistance while abroad should first attempt to contact their family, friends, banking institution, or employer. The American Citizen Services unit in the Consular Section of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can assist in this effort, if necessary. You or your family, friends, or associates, may wire money directly to a U.S. citizen abroad by contacting Western Union, MoneyGram, or other similar commercial money transfer services with offices in Moldova. There are money transfer cost comparison tools online to help you identify your best option. The person receiving the money will need to present proof of identity, such as a passport.

Be wary of International Financial Scams!

  • Sending Money through the U.S. Department of State:

When the commercial options listed above are not available or feasible due to the circumstance of the emergency, family or friends may send funds via the U.S. Department of State for delivery to a destitute U.S. citizen abroad at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. See Sending Money Overseas to a U.S. Citizen. The U.S. Department of State assesses a $30.00 fee to establish an account and transfer funds. For additional information, contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management, at (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444).

American Citizens who are unable to get help from family or other contacts may email the American Citizens Services unit at the Embassy to discuss other options.

For more information, please see the Department of State website page on Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad.

Also: See our information about replacement of lost or stolen U.S. passports abroad.