Notaries Public

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau provides notarial services for a variety of items, but the services we can offer are limited. Please confirm that we can notarize your document before you make the trip to the Embassy.

Notarial service is primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents (‘Green Card’ holders). Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States.

 Requirements for Getting Documents Notarized:

  • A government-issued photo ID. A passport is your best option.
  • You must understand your document. We are not allowed to explain the contents to you. Please consult a lawyer or other appropriate advisor before coming to see us.
  • Complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive (but DO NOTE sign it; you will sign it at the Embassy in front of a Consular Officer)
  • Consular fees can be paid in US Dollars, Moldovan lei, or Credit Card. If your document also requires the presence of witnesses, you must supply them.

Types of Notarials:

Power of Attorney:

A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal actions on your behalf. A common example of this is empowering someone else to buy or sell property in the United States in your name while you are overseas. Please fill out the form before you come to our offices, but DO NOT sign it in advance. You will sign in the presence of a Consular Officer.


An affidavit is a sworn statement. You can write out any statement you may wish to make. We cannot attest to the truth or accuracy of the statement. We can only confirm the identity of the person who signed it. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of the Consular Officer.

Acknowledgement of Execution:

An Acknowledgement of Execution is a notarial act which verifies that a particular person signed a given document. It is often used for legal agreements, business documents, etc.  It is also used when more than two signatures are required on the document but not all of the parties who must sign are present in the same place at the same time. We can notarize (or acknowledge) only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of us or appear in front of us and verify that they have signed the document.

Certification of True Copies of Documents:

We get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, we cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them. For more information on this subject, please consult the Department of State website at

Notary Services Fee

  • First services (seal) $50
  • Each additional copy provided for the same transaction $50
  • Affidavit of True Statement $50


An “apostille” is a form of authentication issued to documents for use in countries that participate in the Hague Convention of 1961. For a list of countries that accept apostilles please go to If the country of intended use does not participate in The Hague Convention, documents being sent to that country can be “authenticated” or “certified”.

The Office of the Secretary of State provides apostille and authentication service to U.S. citizens and foreign nationals on documents that will be used overseas. Types of documents include corporate documents, such as company by laws and articles of incorporation, power of attorney, diplomas, transcripts, letters relating to degrees, marital status, references and job certifications, home studies, deeds of assignments, distributorship agreements, papers for adoption purposes, etc.