Obtaining Vital Records

The Embassy in Chisinau keeps no files of the different documents we issue, such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or documents dealing with the death of an American in Moldova. These records are maintained in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Moldovan civil documents, such as records of marriages and divorces in Moldova. These records are held by the local government. Other records, such as birth certificates for people born in the U.S., are available only through the state of origin.

The Embassy cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in Romanian.

Documents that Must Be Ordered from the Department of State in Washington:

Consular Report of Birth Abroad:

A document issued by an American embassy or consulate reflecting the facts of the birth abroad of a child acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth through one or both parents. This record, also known as an FS-240, along with the Certification of Birth, DS-1350, are acceptable as proof of birth and U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

Consular Report of Death Abroad:

This is a document issued by an American embassy or consulate reflecting the facts of the death abroad of an American citizen. The document is based upon the local death certificate.

Requesting Records:

Requests for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (FS-240 & DS-1350), Consular Report of Death Abroad (DS-2060, Formerly OF-180), Certificates of Witness to Marriage, and death certificates must be notarized. The request must include a copy of a valid photo identification of the requester (driver’s license, passport, etc.).

The written request must be notarized, which can be done at no charge at the American Embassy in Chisinau.  Click here for more information.

Documents That Must Be Obtained From a U.S. State:

Vital records are documents such as birth, death or marriage certificates. In the U.S., such records are usually held by state, county, or city governments, depending on location. Here is some information to assist you in obtaining copies of such records.

Go to http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm for more information about obtaining vital records in the U.S., such as birth certificates.

There are also on-line services that will help you obtain records for a fee. One such service is VitalChek, found on http://www.vitalchek.com/ and 800-255-2414, which allows you to request birth, death, and marriage certifications online, by phone, or by fax.

Another service called https://www.usbirthcertificate.net/ can help you obtain or amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, in addition to obtaining a birth certificate. You must have a physical street address to use this service (no APO’s, FPO’s, or PO Boxes).

Moldovan Civil Documents

There is no central office for vital records in Moldova. To obtain copies of birth, marriage, divorce, or death records, write to the Civil Registration District Office in the Town Hall where the event occurred. Current registration of vital records is considered fairly comprehensive. Prices vary by document and district.

The Embassy cannot obtain Moldovan civil documents on behalf of private citizens, nor can we provide translation services. If you wish assistance in the filing process, please refer to our lists of local attorneys who can communicate in English.

If your child was born in a U.S. military hospital, they may have a record of his/her birth. Unfortunately, the Embassy does not have access to any of those records.

Police Clearances/Criminal Records Checks

These checks cannot be obtained from the American Embassy in Chisinau. Instead, please contact the relevant Police Authority.