Passport Services

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit accepts passport applications by appointment to renew expiring or expired passports, or replace passports that have been lost, stolen, or damaged. Note: A lost or stolen passport must be reported to the consular section and replaced immediately.

Please note that all applicants in Chisinau must apply for a U.S. passport in person.  We do not accept mail-in applications.  Similarly, all applicants must come and collect their replacement U.S. passport in person 7 to 10 business days later when we receive the new passport.  We cannot send passports by mail or other courier service.  Also note that you will retain your current valid U.S. passport until the replacement arrives.  You must bring your valid passport for cancellation before we will provide you with the replacement.

ACS also accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and first time U.S. passports for U.S. citizen children born outside of the United States.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy can issue an emergency passport that is typically valid for one year. The emergency passport can be replaced within that year for a full validity passport at an Embassy or Consulate overseas or at a Passport Agency in the United States. For further information on passport services, please see the Department of State’s website on U.S. passports.

Many countries have passport validity requirements. Before travelling we recommend you visit the Department of State website to ensure that your passport is valid for travel to all countries you will visit.

For questions regarding passport services, please email .

For information on applying for a passport in the United States, please visit:

Please note:

Under Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, a passport, except for direct return to the United States, will not be issued in any case in which the applicant has been certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services to be in arrears of child support in an amount exceeding $2,500.00.

Your passport may be revoked if you fall under this regulation.

Please direct any questions to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency. You may go to the Department of Health and Human Services – State Child Support Enforcement Web Site for a listing of HHS state and local agencies.