Changing your Name on a Passport

If the name change occurred less than one year since your most recent passport was issued, please submit the following:

  • Application Form

Complete electronically (fill out) and print “U.S. Passport Re-Application Form” (DS-5504) wizard form. If you experience trouble with the DS-5504, click here for the DS-5504 (PDF format)

  • Your Current U.S. Passport

You must bring your current passport with your application. We will cancel the old passport and return it to you along with the new one.

  • Photograph

Bring one 2″ by 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) color photo. For additional information on passport photos, go here.

  • Original Name Change Document 

You’ll need to bring the original legal documentation supporting any requested name change: marriage license, divorce decree, legal name change document. We cannot accept copies, and we reserve the right to request additional documentation.

  • Fee Payment

You do not need to pay the processing fees if requested within a year of the passport’s issued date.

To schedule an appointment please click here

Note: If your U.S. passport was issued more than twelve months ago, please follow the instructions for a routine passport renewal.

How Long Does It Take?

Processing time is about seven to ten days after we receive your completed application and approve it. All passports are now printed in the U.S. and must be shipped to Moldova. Because computers break, emergencies happen, and mail is sometimes delivered late, we suggest that you do not make any unchangeable travel plans until you have the new passport in hand.