Passport for a Child

Personal Appearance

All children under age 16 must apply in person, accompanied by at least one parent. Two-Parent Consent is Required by Law.  Parents should appear in person with their passports to sign for their minor children. Parents must also bring the child’s original birth certificate as evidence of parental relationship.

In the event that only one parent applies for the child’s passport in person, that parent must submit a signed and notarized affidavit form giving the second parent’s consent for passport issuance. To access the affidavit form, go to: The parent who signs in person will need to present a copy of the non-present parent’s passport and the child’s original birth certificate as evidence of the parental relationship. Any notarial of the affidavit is acceptable, including Moldovan notarials, US military bases notarials, or notarials from any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  There is no charge for this service for this purpose at any Embassy or Consulate.  All notarized statements must be in English.

Both parents must give their consent for minors under age 16 applying for any passport services.  If only one parent signs the application with no consent from the other parent, the signing parent must establish sole authority to execute the application through written proof of sole custody (for example, following a divorce).

These are the things you need to bring to renew your child’s passport:

  • Your child’s current or most recently issued passport even if that passport has already expired.  If you cannot locate the passport, you will have to declare it lost or stolen and submit form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport along with the passport application and local police certificate, which confirms the loss. The form can be accessed by going to
  • Application Form: Please complete one copy of Form DS-11 by going to:  Unfortunately, at this time, our on-line passport application forms do not support emergency contact addresses outside the U.S.  Please complete the form using a U.S. emergency contact, or add your overseas emergency contact information by hand after printing the form. PLEASE NOTE: Federal law requires a passport applicant to provide his/her Social Security Number (SSN) under question #5 on the DS-11 application form. Failure to provide this information could result in a $500 penalty imposed by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
  • A photograph sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. For additional information on passport photos go to
  • Proof of Parental Relationship
  • Fee Payment.  For a list of fees and forms used for Passport Applications, go to  We accept U.S. Dollars, Moldovan Lei, or Credit Cards.

Please include an original of one of the following documents:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names); or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350)(with parents’ names); or
  • Adoption decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  • Court order establishing custody; or
  • Court order establishing guardianship.

If the parent(s)/guardian current name(s) is/are other than what is stated on these documents, evidence of legal name change (e.g. marriage, divorce, court-ordered name change) is required.

All documents must be originals. Any documents not in English, Romanian, or Russian must include a translation. We may request whatever additional documentation is necessary from you to meet these requirements.

How Long Does It Take?

Processing time is about seven to ten days after we receive your completed application and approve it. All passports are now printed in the United States and must be shipped to Moldova.

Because computers break, emergencies happen, and mail is sometimes delivered late, we suggest that you do not make any unchangeable travel plans until you have the new passport in hand.

We will let you know when your child’s new passport is ready so you can come and pick it up.