Passport Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Yes. Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our offices when you make the application.

All applicants under the age of 16 must have permission from both parents in order
for us to issue a passport to them. Please click here for more information.

It is acceptable if a newborn’s are not entirely, open.  All other children must have their eyes open and looking straight ahead towards the camera. One way to do this is to place the child on a white blanket on the floor and take the photo while standing over him/her. You can also go to a professional photographer if you prefer.

We encourage parents to apply for the passport (and Consular Report of Birth Abroad) as soon as possible to facilitate travel in the event of urgent circumstances. Processing takes about three weeks, and your child will not be able to travel in an emergency without a passport.

No, fees are payable in U.S. Dollars, Moldovan Lei, or by credit card.

No. The photos must be in color. For additional information on passport photos, go to

Yes, if the expired passport was issued within the last 15 years. You must still submit the passport, even if it has already expired, and meet all of the other standard passport renewal criteria.

For a detailed list of fees for passport services, please review our fee calculator:  Expedite fees are not applicable when applying for a U.S. passport or passport card at a U.S. Embassy overseas.

You can use A4 paper. The forms you print must be clear and sharp, printed in black on white paper, with no holes or perforations, at least medium (such as used in most photocopiers) paper weight. Do not use paper with a shiny surface. Thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, special inkjet paper, and other shiny papers are not acceptable.

No, don’t staple them. Just include them with the application.

Write your mailing address in Moldova, where you would normally receive mail. We will not mail your
passport to that address.  We will hold your passport for delivery.  You must also provide a phone number or email at which you can be reached in Moldova.

It is up to you. If you reside in Moldova, you can write your Moldovan street address. Even if they live in Moldova, some people prefer to write a U.S. address, such as their parents’ home or company headquarters.  It is your choice.

The Embassy does not have information on passport applications in-process in the U.S. Please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778, a toll-free call.