Replacement of a Lost or Stolen Passport

Lost or stolen passports should be reported to the Consular Section as soon as possible.

In cases where your passport cannot be used to establish identity and citizenship because it has been lost, stolen, or damaged, it will be necessary to complete an application as though you were applying for your first passport.

To obtain a replacement passport, you must provide:

  • Proof of Your Identity: ID can be proved through a government-issued photo ID document, such as your passport or a state-issued ID card. All documents must be originals. 
  • Proof of Your Citizenship:If you do not have your passport, citizenship is proven through an official birth certificate or naturalization/citizenship certificate, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. All documents must be originals. Go to to learn how to obtain a copy of your birth certificate or other vital records. An older, expired passport can also be used to establish citizenship.Please note: For a child’s lost or stolen passport, additional documentation is needed. Refer to the Passport Application for a Child page for complete information.
  • Application Form:Please submit one copy of Form DS-11. This form can be found at

Note that the form you print must be clear and sharp, with black print on white paper. The paper must be letter or A-4 size. Thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, special inkjet paper, and other similar papers are not acceptable.

  • Lost or Stolen Passport form: If your passport was lost or stolen, please bring a copy of the DS-64 form available on OR bring printed proof that the form was submitted via the online system. You will also need a local police certificate or copy of a police report confirming the loss or theft of your passport.
  • Damaged Passports: Passports that are damaged or in poor condition should be replaced immediately, regardless of remaining validity. You are required to apply for a renewal passport in person at the American Citizen Unit.

For security reasons, damaged passports may be retained by this office.

  • Photo 2″ X 2″ (or 5cm X 5cm).

For additional information on Passport Photos, go here.

To schedule an appointment for passport service please click here

Processing time is typically about seven to ten business days after we receive your completed application and approve it. All passports are now printed in the U.S. and shipped to Moldova. Because delivery times cannot be guaranteed, we suggest that you do not make any unchangeable travel plans until you have the new passport in hand. In cases where the applicant must travel urgently, we can issue an ’emergency passport’ which is valid for one year. This ’emergency passport’ may be exchanged within that year for a full validity passport at an embassy or consulate overseas or at a Passport Agency in the United States.